There seems to be a basic formula to the ever popular “New Year guilt-induced-clean-eating-post-holiday stretch” green smoothie.
Veggies…protein…ice…. maybe some fruit if I spend some extra time at the gym… The problem is that it can get boring and, dare I say, repetitive. I’m completely guilty of falling into the post-holiday binge-diet-reevaluation cycle, but I’ve been having lots of fun experimenting with my latest kitchen toy: a shiny new blender (to replace my cracked 10-year-old model).
Last week, I noticed a lonesome green pear peeking out from the fruit bowl, and had a ‘eureka’, moment. I washed the little guy up, tossed it into the blender with Greek yogurt, baby spinach, almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla, and this beauty of a smoothie was born!
Creamy, slightly sweet, with the delicious taste of pear, this smoothie packs a great nutritional & fiber punch.
Pear Green Smoothie
makes a generous 12 ounce drink
8 ounces unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup 0% fat vanilla greek yogurt
1 ripe d’anjou pear, washed & cored
1 generous handful of baby spinach
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract pinch of cinnamon
1 tablespoon chia or flax seeds
stevia or agave syrup to taste (if needed)
3-4 ice cubes
In a blender, layer the ingredients in the following order…. Almond milk, yogurt, pear, vanilla, cinnamon, spinach, chia or flax seed, & ice. Blend on high until creamy. Add sweetener as desired.
Green Pear Smoothie
- 8 ounces unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup 0% fat vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 ripe d’anjou pear washed & cored
- 1 generous handful of baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chia or flax seeds
- stevia or agave syrup to taste if needed
- 3-4 ice cubes
- In a blender, layer the ingredients in the following order….
- Almond milk, yogurt, pear, vanilla, cinnamon, spinach, chia or flax seed, & ice. Blend on high until creamy. Add sweetener as desired.